Pages

Monday, October 02, 2006

Breakfast at Darling Harbour


DSCN0692


Saturday, 23.09.2006. Fine and sunny 27 degrees in Sydney.

First order of the day was down to Darling Harbour for Breakfast. We figured that we should be able to get some good food down at DH on a Saturday morning. It was a nice walk down to DH, took a right passed the Chinese Gardens, IMAX and we even walked past a group of people in the midst of the Saturday morning Tai Chi session near the old Sega World (I can't remember what it's called now).

Kept walking and started encountering the restaurants in DH. Surprise surprise. Most of them actually don't open for breakfast. We were starving, so we kept walking until we found the first cafe that was opened for business and served breakfast. So in we went to CMC or Citi Marina Cafe right next to water feature on The Terrace, parked ourselves right in front of a light pole facing Novotel, Hotel Ibis and the Marina.

DSCN0002


Small menu of the usual eggs, bacon, ham breakfast, with some yoghurt and berries, pancakes and muesli for the health conscious. My main purpose for going to Sydney was to eat! So I sure ain't going for a yoghurt and berries breakfast, I'm breaking my diet for this so I figure I might as well go all the way and suffer the consequences later.


DSCN0686DSCN0687DSCN0685

From L - R (Top to bottom): Samps had the Eggs Benedict, Omelette 3 ways w/ ham, spanish onions and mushrooms for me and Alv had The Big Breakfast. Um, as you can tell, we were starving so we all took a bite before remember that we need to take a snap of this. Breakfast was sad to say a fairly ordinary affair. It makes my breaky at Turtle Cafe look and taste really good. I suppose I can't complain, what do you expect when you order food like that. Umm to actually taste the hollandaise sauce, have well poached eggs, oh I don't know tasty omelette perhaps? We left $60 short of a good meal and went on to the Pyrmont Bridge for a better view of Cockle Bay Wharf.

Breakfast at Darling Harbour


DSCN0697


There was quite a bit of activity happening on the Pyrmont Bridge. When we got up there we found out that Chalk the Walk was on. Chalk the Walk is part of the Pavement Art Festival festivities held this year from 21/9 to 24/9 on Pyrmont Bridge. From what I can tell, it was first held in 2005 and the main attraction is that the artists who are competing in the festival paint their work live in front of all the passerbys. The event raises funds for Father Chris Riley's Youth Off the Streets Charity.

DSCN0706

DSCN0702

There were many sections of the bridge that was cordoned off by little gates to mark the artists' painting section. If I remembered correctly there was at least 4 sections (I could be wrong). Also, I would just like to make it clear that I don't have a fetish for rubbish bins. (You'll see what I mean when you see the post on Sydney Fish Market) It just so happened to be in my way! There were lots of people watching and I couldn't really push my way through to get the best photo there. Not to mention that I was quickly being left behind by the other two as we walked towards Harbourside Shopping Centre.

My favourite painting was an interpretation of the Cirque du Soleil.

DSCN0707


More happy snaps were taken whilst we walked towards Harbour Side Shopping centre to kill some time and desperately trying to digest the food so that we could move on to our next stop: The Sydney Fish Market.

DSCN0710


View slideshow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like it was a nice day, that chalking event looks pretty neat! Pity about breakfast though - whenever I have a disappointing brekkie, I need a fantastic lunch to make up for it!

ilingc said...

Hi Ellie,

Yes it was! Beautiful! Warm and not too muggy. After the sorts of weather we had that week. :D

The chalk on the walk was really cool. Too bad I couldn't get any better photos. I was trying to go to the middle but the crowd just wouldn't accomodate me :(

Yeah, breaky was a bit disappointing but wait till you see lunch. Breakfast was heaps better than lunch !